Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Mail

Remember when you were little? You couldn't wait for the mailman to come. There might be something for you. A birthday card, a Highlights magazine, and later Tiger Beat or Seventeen magazine?

I must admit that I don't rush to the mailbox anymore, it's usually bills or junk mail advertisements. Yesterday was an "interesting" mail day. It started with Renee who received a copy of "The Shack" in the mail, and it didn't say who it was from. She immediately called me. Then Ashley called, then Ann and then Gina. By the time Gina called, I was walking in the door with an envelope in my hand that I had just pulled from the mailbox. A copy of "The Shack" for me & Dale. Most had a message, some seemed personal, some not so much so.... Our's said "share this book with others". Which is a great idea, but then again would it be better if someone sent everyone a copy of the Message Bible. Seems like a great idea, but then not everyone really enjoys that particular version of the Bible.

Back to the Shack, I read this book, and actually started reading it again before I shared it with Mona. It's a different book. It's fiction, so that had to be understood before you read it. It definitely will play with your emotions. I can't say that I would recommend it to everyone, but then again maybe that wouldn't be for me to decide. I guess someone felt that folks might be more likely to read it if they just received it. I don't know.

Because the main character has lost a child, I would think that it would be extremely hard for someone that's lost a child to read it. But then maybe not, I don't know. I just know that for me reading books or watching movies where someone loses their mother are hard for me. Which brings me to my other piece of odd mail. I got a letter for Mom yesterday. Her birthday is next Friday, the 10th. It was a gift certificate to Shorty Small's for $10.00. Okay, she's been gone for 7 years, why would they suddenly decide to send that now? The other ironic thing is that the night before she died, I ate at Shorty's. We were celebrating Karla's birthday. I felt horrible. I had a bad cold, and it was a miserable meal at Shortys. At some level, I just felt something wrong.

Anyway, that brings me to today. Dale's Grandpa Hardy passed away. Talk about living life to the fullest. Grandpa Hardy was a DOLL!!!! He loved to dance! Even though he suffered from polio as a boy, and he walked with a limp. He still loved to Dance!!! I hope that if I live to be 94, I'll still want to dance.

I know that this post is pretty random, and rambling. I guess my ADD is just really bad today. Forgive me! I miss my mom, I miss my son, and I'm hurting for Dale. When Brett was born he had 7 great-grandparents. Now all he has left is grandmommy.

I guess we should be thankful that he does remember all of his great-grandparents. I only barely remember my great-grandpa Mooty.

Gotta go, Dale's here.

Love ya, mean it! Bye

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats crazy.

yeah.. i dont remember any of my great-grandparents.. and I was only around both of my grandmas.

Brett is very lucky.