Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What makes life worth living?

When I was in High School, way back long ago. I was a journalism "jock", at least that's what we called ourselves. Becky finds it so easy to admit in her blog that she is a nerd. I find that very difficult, although I'm starting to possibly entertain the idea that I wasn't the coolest chick at school. I was the feature editor for the newspaper and the sports editor of the yearbook (perhaps that's why I turned out to be a Rowdy Mom). Hey, I still think I'm pretty cool.

I loved to write hard hitting stories (like the one I wrote about Arkansas Nuclear One) but I also loved "fluff" stories. One of my favs, was "What makes life worth living?" Pretty heady stuff for a bunch of teens. I can't remember all the responses but Karla's were my favorite "kisses in the rain" and "tootsie rolls".

It's been kind of a weird day, and I guess that's what got me on this subject. I started out the day a little bummed. I will not be heading to Dauphin Island until June. There are just too many things standing in the way of the October trip. I've known in my heart for a while, but just couldn't face it. We've had too much turnover at work, and I just don't have a good comfort level being that far away. Along with spending 18 hours in a car for a 72 hour trip. Just not logical. I wanted to be fair to the person I was renting my house from, so they would have a chance to rent it, I emailed yesterday stating I might not be able to come. He was very gracious and told me he didn't think he would have any trouble renting it. (In one way I was somewhat hoping that he would tell me that I couldn't get out of my obligation. His graciousness further showed me that I was making the right decision.) Anyways, later in the morning I received a call from a customer that runs a conference center. (I had inquired with her if she might have something available for that weekend in October, so that Dale and I could still get away.) Not only did she have a spot for us, but her boss insisted that they "comp" it.

Knowing that I was going to Dauphin Island in October was one of the things that made life worth living over the last few months. Just when that dream was gone, God placed a new one. Dale & I have many fond memories of Petit Jean, and it is beautiful there in October. When we were first together, we had a wonderful escape to Petit Jean one Sunday afternoon. We had a picnic, and just "explored", it's still one of my favorite days EVER! Now we get the chance to make new memories.

No, it's not DI and I'll miss out on meeting a lot of my friends, but I'm still thankful that we will at least be able to get away for the weekend.

I'm back to asking myself what makes life worth living..........

Snuggling up to Dale each night as I go to sleep.

Hearing Brett's voice on the other end of the phone saying, "Hello, beautiful mother of mine"

Hugs from any and all of my "kids"

Having someone new ask if they can call me "Aunt Kim"

Hearing my nearly 21 year old Godson call me "Aunt Kim"


Waiting for the day that Eva Kate will call me "Aunt Kim"

EVA KATE


The hope of granchildren (in the future!!!)

Peanut M&M's

Popeye's Chicken

Duane's Brisket

Karla cookies (basically anything baked by Karla)

Sunrise

Listening to Tri-Chord

Sunset

Dauphin Island

The knowledge that as wonderful as this earth is, Heaven is unimaginably better!

The further knowledge that one day I'll get to see it for myself.

No comments: