Wednesday, August 20, 2008

HURTFUL WORDS

When I was in school, I used to hear "Sticks and stones, may break my bones but words can never hurt me." If you have lived past the age of about 6 then you know that is wrong. Words are hurtful and sometimes their wounds take longer to heal than a broken bone.

This morning I had an employee of one of my customer's go "off" on me. It was pretty surreal. I was completely taken aback by the hatred in his voice, and his use of profanity. It was so random and unneccessary. I talk to so many people every day and I've never experienced anything like this before. He made me cry. Partly from the hurtful things he said and partly from frustration I felt at being "attacked" for no reason, and not given the right to defend myself. I cannot imagine how those Christians that are presecuted daily must feel. I truly felt violated and still find myself getting upset. I need to let it go, so I am adding this man to my prayer list. He obviously is in need of help.

Once again, I found comfort in the book of Job Chapter 5 Verse 21 says, You will be sheltered,without fear of hurtful words or any other weapon.

If he was this upset at me over something so small. How will he respond when faced with a real problem? Does he lash out in anger at his family? Does he even have a family? I have no idea what things he may have faced this morning. This is the only contact I've ever had with him, even though I've been writing his paycheck for over 8 years. To my knowledge, we've never once in all those checks made a mistake on his check. Why today did he feel the need to call and curse at me? In the great scheme of things, am I really injured? Probably not, but another thing that I took for granted is gone. My safety, I have no idea how this man would have reacted to me if we were face to face. That is a new reality in our world.

Once again, I am reminded that my little problems are pretty insignificant in comparison to the big picture. There are those that risk their lives everyday as they head to work. Our military, police and fireman and in some areas our teachers and medical staff. Our world is becoming increasingly more violent and people less tolerant of one another.

I wish that we could live by Jesus's words in John 13:34-35 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."

I pray that as I go through each day, those around me will be able to recognize that I am trying to live like Jesus. (do I hear my kids singing???? And they will know we are Christians by our love.......)

No comments: