Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sunrise at Dauphin island



I love Dauphin Island. Anyone that knows me knows that! The first time we ever went to DI we had the benefit of a beautiful sunset. I was hooked! I couldn't wait to see the sunrise. If you've known me very long, you've also probably heard this story, heck I'm getting so old I might have already blogged about it. Anyway, this video reminded me so much of that morning that I'm telling it again. I miss my Cort, he is away now being a Marine (having grown up like Brett & Jeff). Oh how, I miss those "little boys" that I took to DI that first year.

Anyways...Cort and I got up and walked down to the west end beach. (We were staying in the 2nd to the last house on that end, so it wasn't far). We walked around until we had a beautiful view of the bridge. Our calculations were a little off so the sunrise itself was actually more over the middle of the island, but we weren't disappointed. The colors we saw that morning were much like those that are in this video.

As we were watching and waiting, just enjoying the feel of the breeze and the sound of the waves we heard another sound. We both looked to the gulf side of the island and there were a group of dolphins. Just playing in the surf. One was slapping the water with it's tail. They were all jumping and spinning. We felt like we were getting our own personal show (even though they didn't even realize that we were on the beach). I believe now that they were probably feeding, but it is still such a special time. We're looking at the horizon for the sun to appear, then quickly turning to watch the dolphins. We just didn't know which we to look without feeling like we were going to miss something. We just laughed and hugged and worshipped God. Cort looked at me and said "How can someone see all this and not believe in God?" then in all seriousness since it was Sunday morning he said "Aunt Kim, this is way better than church!" I have to say that I agreed with him. I felt so close to God and so close to Cort in that moment. Cort and I have shared many Holy Spirit "moments", but that one will always stand out.

This says it all.....
Psalm 9 Verses 1-2
1-2 I'm thanking you, God, from a full heart, I'm writing the book on your wonders.
I'm whistling, laughing, and jumping for joy;
I'm singing your song, High God.

No comments: