Thursday, July 24, 2008

Friends - what are they? who are they?

Last night I "helped" at Vacation Bible School. I watched the little children as they danced in delight. I watched my teens sitting at a table trying to look cool (while mouthing the songs the little ones were singing). Finally they couldn't take it and joined the little ones.....with abandon I might add. My heart was full! Then I looked at all the people around me. Friends, I am so rich and so blessed to have so very many friends. It really made me think about how blessed I truly am!

I went to Webster's to see how it defines the word "friend". There were several definitions, but none of them truly defines that word for me.

1 a: one attached to another by affection or esteem b: acquaintance
2 a: one that is not hostile b: one that is of the same nation, party, or group
3: one that favors or promotes something (as a charity)
4: a favored companion

I guess my definition is something like, "someone you know and enjoy spending time with, with which you share common interests."

For many years my mom was my best friend, we basically grew up together (she was only 17 when I was born). When I lost her, I never thought that hole in my heart would be full. A friend (a man that I have only actually seen one time in my life) assured me that it would heal and I would find joy again. He was right! He helps to administer a Internet website called "Arkansas Fats Dauphin Island BBS" http://di-bbs.com/ The AFDIBBS has added a whole new set of friends for me, and expanded my knowledge on soooooo many subjects.

I really don't want to start naming friends because then I would forget someone, and I might end up with one less friend. But there are some friends that I have to mention,like Karla. She's been my best friend since we were in 9th grade. She can sometimes be a heifer, but then again so can I. We understand each other. She's the one that took me to Dauphin Island for the first time (there is nothing that I can do to re-pay her for that!). I love her and I don't tell her often enough because she's really not a "touchy, feely" kind of person.

So why has our friendship withstood the test of time.....just because we belong together.

When I turned 40, my friend Mona bought me a tiara, and my friend, Pebbles made me a scepter. They (along with Karla & Lisa)decorated my office with purple feather boas, streamers and all kinds of signs. My other friends that were already 40 formed the "Fabulous Forty Princesses, of the Divine Order of the Rowdy Rahrah's". We had a great time that year as each person had their Birthday and we invaded local restaraunts, in tiara's and boas. That's been 4 years ago, and we've all moved to different things, but I still cherish those times. 40 could have been hard but instead it was a joy, because of my friends.

I'm also very blessed to have a very special woman in my life named Shirley. Some would title her as "stepmother". But I hate that word. It just brings up bad images from so many fairy tales and disney movies. Anyway, I just refer to her as my other mother. She may not have given birth to me, but she has always been there for me! We pretty much grew up together as well. She made me promise not to make her a grandmother before she was 40 so,I very graciously waited until she had been 40for 2 days before I made her a grandmother. Her love is bountiful. (And did I mention that she makes chocolate gravy and the best banana pudding ever?)

Robin Jones Gunn writes a series of novels about "Sisterchicks". These are fun, easy reads.

Her description is:
Sisterchicks n.: a friend who shares the deepest wonders of your heart, loves you like sister, and provides a reality check when you're being a brat.

I'm beyond blessed to have dozens of "Soulfood Sisterchicks". We go on retreats together and try to meet at least once a month for Breakfast. I for sure can't name all of them, but they range in each from 20's to 80's. Some of these women have been my friend since we were kids (and that's a lot of years), and some I've only known for a few weeks. Still JOY!

When Brett was 9 and playing PeeWee Football, I was proud to be linked to another group "The Rowdy Mom's". For 10 years, I've been more than proud to call myself a "Rowdymom". I don't hang out with very many of those mom's anymore (actually only one, Lisa), but I still consider them "friends". Lisa and I have a special friendship, we can go weeks without talking and then spend 2 hours catching up. If anyone can make me laugh, it's Lisa!

For a long time on the DIBBS, I just used the moniker Rowdymom, I wasn't ready for anyone to truly "know" me. I "lurked" and sometimes commented. However, I did email a lot with Eric aka "Arkansas Fats". He was a truly great man, that I never had the pleasure to meet. Some might think it funny, but I would still call him friend. There are no words to describe how much the DIBBS and it's members mean to me. I've only met a few of them in person, but I still call them friends. After Eric died, the format for the DIBBS was changed and I went ahead and started using my real name. It was time to quit hiding as Rowdymom, and let them see Kim. I regretted so much that I never actually met him. This October I finally get to meet most of my DIBBS friends in person, but that will just be a formality. I already know them.

I'll end with my definition of a friend, "someone you know and enjoy spending time with, with which you share common interests." It's the "spending time with" part that might be tricky for some. It's not just about going to dinner, a movie, shopping etc.... I consider every day on DIBBS as "spending time with" my friends.

No comments: